Chicken Broccoli Casserole is pure comfort food and made in 30 minutes! Full of tender chicken, broccoli and plenty of cheese. It’s all mixed into a creamy sauce and topped with butty bread crumbs.
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Did you grow up eating casseroles?
My mom didn’t make them growing up because she didn’t like them.
The very first time I every had a casserole was after I was married and was visiting my new in laws for Christmas break.
It was nothing like I had had before and tasted heavenly. Cheesy heaven.
It’s one of those recipes that can be turned into a freezer meal, taken to a new mother, or someone that is sick. A quick 30 minute meal that is great for an easy weeknight dinner and makes for even better leftovers.
Can You Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole With Cream Of Chicken Soup?
There is a lot of controversy over cream of soups in a can. I personally don’t mind using them, but I do use them sparingly. Some casserole recipes call for making your own cream base. I even have some of them.
This recipe calls for 2 cans of cream of chicken soup. I like the ease of it and I usually have a few on hand in my pantry. If I need to throw something together quick, this is my go to meal.
What Type Of Chicken Should I Use?
When it comes to casseroles or even soups, I love using a rotisserie chicken. My favorite comes from Costco because it’s the least expensive and has the best flavor.
After I’ve purchased it and brought it home I like to let it cool on the counter then remove all the meat from it. If I’m not using it right away, I will leave as much of the meat whole and store it in a gallon size baggie then place it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If I need to freeze it, then I’ll shred it, put it in a freezer bag and make sure all of the air is out of it before putting it in the freezer.
You can also cook your own chicken and shred it. I shared a great method of how to do this over at My Name Is Snickerdoodle. There are some tips on how to freeze on that post as well.
How To Make It
This really is a super easy and yummy meal that I’m sure your entire family will love. We like to serve it over steamed rice along side a veggie salad and some fruit.
- In a large bowl stir together 2 cans of cream of chicken soup with 3/4 cup sour cream.
- Season with pepper.
- Stir in cooked shredded chicken, cooked broccoli and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour into a 9×13 baking dish and spread out to the edges.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter and cracker (or bread) crumbs.
- Evenly sprinkle over the top of the entire casserole.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove foil.
- Cook for another 15 minute or until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbly.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes and serve over cooked rice.
Give these other super easy recipes a try!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 3 Cups Chicken Cooked and Shredded
- 2 Cups Cooked Broccoli
- 2 14 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Freshly Cracked
- 2 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers Crushed
- 6 TBSP Butter Melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl combine soup, sour cream and pepper.
- Mix in chicken, broccoli and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour into a 2 qt baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and crackers (or bread crumbs).
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly over casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the sides are bubbling.
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving over rice.